home         how it works         my ideas         help         hud.gov

Have an awesome idea?

Please Ban the Use of E-Cigarettes in-side HUD Offices

I recently discovered that a fellow HUD employee has been smoking e-cigarettes in his cubicle and we share an office space. It took 2 months for me to discovered this. When I found out I informed the building administrator who told me that this employee has previously been advised not to do so but that there are no clear policy prohibiting the use of e-cigarettes in-side HUD offices. E-cigarettes emits an odorless vapor that contains nicotine and several states and Federal employers have already adopted rules to ban its use in the work place. I am pregnant and I find that exposure to second hand e-cigarette smoke in the work place to be unacceptable. Smoking in-door is already prohibited, so I urge the HUD leadership to expand the definition of smoking to include the use of e-cigarettes so that non-smoking employees will not be exposed second hand smoke in the work place.

191 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    sna92701 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Under review.  ·  jay responded  · 

Apologies for the delay on this one. Just wanted to let y’all know that we’re still looking into this, and hoping to get you a more helpful update soon. :)

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lynette please band smoking in the affordable housing in the town of oysterbay housing arthority . It's on the lease and the doors need to be seal proof for all ordors to enter .Mr Pickens and Ms. E. Write doesn't take it seriously and has done nothing,smoking and other odors affects people with asthma and other lungs diseases. They need help before we talk get the news and hi rank authority involved
        .since your going to have wifi for staff with you should it should be for resident to with a health fitness so resident with disabilities can mental get better ,instead causing irritations .

• Mark Butler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is also no clear regulations on the content of these smokeless devices and exposure in the workplace to an unknown health risk is unacceptable. Instead of "studying" this issue further or requiring votes, it is time for management to actively MANAGE and ban the use of these devices in the work place.

Feedback and Knowledge Base