home         how it works         my ideas         help         hud.gov

Ideas? Feedback? Let us know right here.

Hey there. Welcome to Switchboard, where you have the opportunity to help us help HUD help you. First time on the site? Here’s how it works. Questions, comments? Write us at switchboard@hud.gov and we’ll get back to you right away.

Have an awesome idea?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Open up great promotional Opportunities to Field Staff

There are so many interesting promotional opportunities being posted with an HQ location. Many of these positions could in fact be carried out just as successfully remotely in the field offices - stop the centralization and make use of the technology available and at the same time open up positions to the very talented staff you already have in the field.

869 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      30 comments  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As part of my deep dive sessions to learn more about HUD, I’ll be exploring this issue really closely. At the moment, though, the succession planning efforts within the Offices of Chief Information Officer and Chief Procurement Officer are contemplating more positions in the field, so we’ll let you know more about that, and broader succession planning efforts, as we get here. Thanks for the idea!

• Create an Online subsidized housing application for MF/PIH housing that could be submitted to various housing providers simutaneously.

Many housing authorities and multifamily housing properties are accepting Online applications. I propose having a roundtable with the industry to create a standard Online application that includes all information needed to apply for a HUD subsidized apartment/voucher. Once the person registered and completed the Online application, they could submit it to any HUD-subsidized apartment. A credit/background report could also be approved and paid for by the applicant and viewable by all housing providers. This would save our customers time and money for having to pay an application fee at each apartment complex/housing authority and would help them to find an…

437 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        8 comments  ·  multifamily housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Automatic Approval Of 1-2-3 Day Telework Requests

Make all telework requests for 1, 2 or 3 days automatically approved. IF performance and/or responsiveness drops within 2 pay periods then have the supervisor and employee have a facts-based dialogue to figure out what is going on and fine tune schedule. That way we can stop the silly arguments revolve around trust and 'what ifs'. Approve it, work it, fine-tune it. Done.

Stated problems:
        (1) Some people are allowed to telework, others are not (same PD and job); (2) More than 50% of our grievances in Region IX relate to non-approval of telework; (3) Most conflicts between supervisors and…

366 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          12 comments  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow for a longer period of time before archiving emails

Please allow for a longer period of time before archiving emails. 60 days is way too short for the type of work that our program areas do. I am an underwriter and my projects are rarely ever completed in 60 days. This wastes a TON of time trying to open every email individually. Perhaps allow a longer period of time for employees who have supervisory approval to archive later? I understand that archiving is important, but staff time should also be considered in making these decisions. We are always saying we need more staff, but if we provided our staff…

363 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            11 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • WiFi Access for HUD Staff

As we go about our days we are challenged to perform at a certain level and always be cognizant about the use of technology in our work environment. It would be so convenient if we had access to WiFi which would allow us to move about in our job space with our laptop computers. Group interaction would be easy as well as using our technology in a shared space without depending upon other equipment in the office that may or may not be available. If you took a poll, I am sure all of my HUD peers would be in…

333 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              7 comments  ·  public & indian housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your idea! As this involves both IT and working conditions, we’ll have to talk this one out with our unions and tech folks. Stay tuned!

• Allow access to webTA while outside of the office

It used to be that we could access webTA using a separate external link. When we switched to the new system with Treasury it ceased to function. There are times when we need to look at our leave, put in leave, validate T&A, etc. when out of the office and do not have access to the network. Please provide a way to access webTA externally.

324 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I agree that this is majorly annoying—a less-than-ideal side effect of the recent webTA functionality upgrade. I didn’t know about the mobile apps, though. We’ll pass this along to our IT folks to see if that’s something that might be able to be turned on. Stay tuned!

• Automatic Quality Step Increase (QSI)

Grant a Quality Step Increase (QSI) automatically to any individual who receives three consecutive outstanding annual performance appraisals.

298 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  2 comments  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Move FHA & HUD staff to the financial regulator pay scale

As was unanimously recommended by 5 past and current FHA commissioners at the BPC Housing Summit on September 15, switching FHA & HUD to the financial regulatory pay scale would improve morale, improve retention, and put FHA/HUD staff on equal footing with their federal financial peers.

295 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Replace the current Active Partners Performance System (APPS)

A Kaizen action team (process improvement team) has been working on revamping the Previous Participation Review process (2530). As part of this process the team is working on a variety of major improvements to the previous participation review process. One of the key problems with this process is the APPS system. This system has a long history of generating complaints from external stakeholders and HUD staff alike due to the burdensome, confusing and overcomplicated nature of the system. The system is so problematic that there was an Act of Congress that prohibits HUD from requiring applicants to file submissions electronically.…

270 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Approve and Promote a Password Manager as Standard Software for All HUD Staff

While single sign-on may be coming in 2016, for the moment HUD staff still have an inordinate number of login information to track. And even after substantial consolidation, as long as "shared-services" like Concur and National Finance Center are part of HUD's Admin, there will still be multiple passwords to remember. That's in addition to the dozens of passwords for personal emails and other online accounts that employees need to maintain securely to protect their PII. HUD should approve and promote a password manager like LastPass or Keypass for all staff, which is free and vastly more secure than the…

255 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        9 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Establish a formal workplace bullying grievance process

HUD published an anti-workplace bullying policy and did a great webinar training last summer. Unfortunately, neither ELRD, EEO, or the Union believe that they are responsible for handling workplace bullying grievances unless it falls under one of their existing grievance structures (i.e. the bullying is discriminatory in nature or involves a prohibited personnel practice).

Managers who are workplace bullies systematically cause employees to flee the agency. There continues to be a lack of knowledge of what workplace bullying looks like, and so staff find themselves confused about what is happening to them and where to turn. When they seek support…

224 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          9 comments  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Provide permenant ongoing credit monitoring to all HUD employees for duration of employment

Yesterday we learned that HUD employee personally identifiable information (PII) was acquired by hackers. Months ago the largest health insurance provider for federal employees has their participant data compromised. A year or two ago an email error led to the release of PII throughout the HUD organization. In each of these instances HUD employees were given credit monitoring services free of charge. Because of the frequency in which these events occur HUD employees are losing (or have lost) faith in their PII being protected. Given these circumstances and to regain confidence that employee credit scores and financials will not be…

220 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Disclose HR privacy and confidentiallity policy to HUD employees

From recent direct experience it has become apparent that employees dealing with the new remote HR system have no expectation of privacy or confidentiality in these interactions, yet this is not disclosed anywhere that I could find. My recent hypothetical question by email to the HR staff seeking information not available on HUD@work was responded to very quickly by email. However, what was not disclosed was that my inquiry was immediately reported to my supervisor, a fact I did not learn until more than a month later. In the interim, management actions were taken, within days following the original question,…

219 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              7 comments  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Delegation of Authority to the field

Program and support offices should be given 90 days to review what authorities are and are not currently delegated to the field. Following the 90 days a report should be provided by each office to the Secretary/Deputy Secretary detailing what additional authorities can be delegated to the field level for decision making. Regulatory waivers that further the mission of the agency should be delegated to the field level when authorized by statute with concurrence from the Field Office Director/Regional Administrator and Regional Counsel.

215 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                7 comments  ·  field policy & management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Subsidize Bike Sharing Memberships for Field Employees

HUD is providing free BikeShare memberships for interested employees in headquarters. This is a great way for the Department to support green transportation alternatives as well as supporting the health of its employees. Can HUD also subsidize bikesharing memberships in the field where bikesharing systems exist? For example, the Denver Regional Office normally has a B-Cycle station located on the same block, which would be convenient for employees.

210 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  18 comments  ·  chief administration officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Please Ban the Use of E-Cigarettes in-side HUD Offices

I recently discovered that a fellow HUD employee has been smoking e-cigarettes in his cubicle and we share an office space. It took 2 months for me to discovered this. When I found out I informed the building administrator who told me that this employee has previously been advised not to do so but that there are no clear policy prohibiting the use of e-cigarettes in-side HUD offices. E-cigarettes emits an odorless vapor that contains nicotine and several states and Federal employers have already adopted rules to ban its use in the work place. I am pregnant and I find…

188 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    4 comments  ·  facilities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Apologies for the delay on this one. Just wanted to let y’all know that we’re still looking into this, and hoping to get you a more helpful update soon. :)

• 181 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Position descriptions for all HUD Positions should be posted on HUD@work. Presently, employees have to request a copy of their PD from HR.

Positions descriptions should be available for all employees on HUD@work. Presently, employees must request their PD from HR. HR is only allowed to distribute the current PD to the employee and not allowed to distribute any other PD's. This practice needs to change.

150 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  public affairs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow supervisors to telework 3 times per week.

Now that HUD allows employees to telework up to three times per week and continues to improve the technology that supports teleworking, it may follow that supervisors should be granted the same 3 days per week teleworking benefit. Currently, supervisors may telework one day per week. Many excellent top performing employees who take advantage of the three day teleworking schedule may never consider supervisory positions because of having to relinquish their ability to work from home three days per week. Employees telework; yet, supervisors are required to go into the office 4 days per week. What for? Nobody is there;…

124 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  single-family housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Establish a Resident Services/Resident Engagement Office that spans Program Areas (either within PIH or for the Department)

Goal 3 "Housing as a Platform" in HUD’s strategic plan, is part of a new direction at HUD, where services to residents of HUD-assisted properties are elevated and more fully integrated into the mission of the department.

HUD has been moving in the direction of integrating rental assistance across PH, HCV and PBRA (think RAD) but how supportive services works in this transition has been an afterthought. Simultaneously, the FSS program has merged across PH and HCV and has proposed to include PBRA... however, our current organizational structure makes supporting this model challenging.

Similar challenges arise with our federal inter-agency…

120 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)