home         how it works         my ideas         help         hud.gov

Ideas? Feedback? Let us know right here.

Hey there. Welcome to Switchboard, where you have the opportunity to help us help HUD help you. First time on the site? Here’s how it works. Questions, comments? Write us at switchboard@hud.gov and we’ll get back to you right away.

Have an awesome idea?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Section 8 rent increase is rediculous stop the rent burden

Why do I have to quit my job? because I can no longer afford the rent increase I was offered a voucher because my neighborhood was being redeveloped. I made over 40,000 when I got the voucher and my rent was $150.....2yrs later I make 39,000 still at the same job and my rent jumped to $892... Unfortunately I can't afford the rent thats one of my paychecks... Now i can't pay a babysitter because my bills exceed my income so with my back against the wall I'm forced to quit my job... All I was trying to do was…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • The managers not worth following are the ones who have submitted themselves for an award. Imagine if this existed in the military.

Does more need to be said? If you don't get it maybe you need to read up on the subject.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Require regular updates from HUD on Switchboard ideas

Often HUD will respond to Switchboard ideas by saying they "looking into it" or "we're working on it" - but will not provide any updates for years and years. Even if commenters post inquiries about where things stand, HUD still won't respond with any updates.

So I propose that for anytime that HUD affirmatively says they are looking into or working on a Switchboard proposal, and for any idea that reaches more than 100 votes, HUD must provide an update every 6 months on this platform that details 1) what specifically has been done to date; 2) where things are…

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • HUD Needs Electronic Locks Or Lockboxes ... HUD Master Key Codes Compromised

Please VOTE so that this message gets to the Deputy Secretary.

The HUD master key codes have been compromised.

Call Richard Law at 321-543-2809 or email richard@law.name and I will provide details on how they have been compromised.

HUD Needs Electronic Locks Or Lockboxes

6 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Cairo, IL

Secretary Carson,

I saw your visit to Cairo, Illinois in the news yesterday. It was heartwarming to see your interest in helping the community’s housing issue. So I took the liberty of studying the area on Google’s satellite and street view. What I noticed was the steady amount of shipping container traffic that is transported on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. There have been several housing manufacturers that are using shipping containers for repurposed livable units. Here is an example. There are several others.

https://www.24hplans.com/top-20-shipping-container-home-designs-and-their-costs/

https://www.curbed.com/2017/6/21/15839730/shipping-container-house-for-sale-buy

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  multifamily housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • I would like to see HUD's Mission statement on HUD@Work home page.

I would like to see HUD's Mission Statement on HUD@Work home page. It will serve as a reminder of our mission at HUD.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  multifamily housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Put President Trump/VP Pence/Secretary Carson pictures up on wall

As a strong supporter of all three men, it would be appreciated by many if proper respect was given to this Administration, specifically President Trump. We work on behalf of the taxpayers and report to Secretary Carson and President Trump. President Trump is boss over every single HUD employee, whether you like it or not. Please post President Trump, VP Pence and Secretary Carson pictures on the walls like you did with Obama and his crew.

30 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  facilities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Build new cities in America! Increase housing supply and help our nation grow!

Imagine if you built new cities in desirable locations and you could start with a clean slate? No zoning laws, no planning commissions, no NIMBYism (Not in my backyard) homeowners preventing the growth needed to ensure we Americans have affordable housing across all income levels. Perhaps we could find land in America where farmers and large landowners could be enticed to sell their land. We could build case-study cities utilizing all the knowledge and wisdom urban planning gained over several decades and try building great cities from scratch instead of trying to retrofit existing ones.

The president is looking for…

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  policy development & research  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • I FEEL YOU SHOULD CELEBRATE THE ORGANIZATIONS THAT REPRESENT YOU WHO PEOPLE LIKE ME APPRECIATE YOU ALL FOR GIVING ME A CHANCE HUD TY

An award ceremony for successful families in a program blessed morning thanks I appreciate you HUD AND UCAP FOR THE CHANGES IN MY DAUGHTER AND I LIVES YOUR AN AMAZING ADVOCATE THE BEST I EVER EXPERIENCED SINCE I WAS 5 SALUTE

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  FHA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • 1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  healthcare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Individual Recycling Bins should be issued to HUD Staff in order to increase the frequency of staff recycling. Currently, offices only have

Individual Recycling Bins should be issued to HUD Staff in order to increase the frequency of staff recycling. Currently, offices only have one centrally located bin for paper-only recycling. This dis-incentivizes recycling of paper, plastic, aluminum, and glass. Through providing individual single stream recycling containers, HUD will incentivize and maximize the frequency of recycling.

17 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  sustainability & economic resilience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add Name/Title to HUD Forms Requiring Signatures

We have HUD forms that require people and entities to provide their signature (often attached to an important certification). However, many HUD documents don't have a space for the person or entity to print their name or their title. So often we just get an unreadable squiggle as a signature, and it's very difficult to know who actually signed these important documents.

HUD-92432 (5/79) - Commitment for Insurance of Advances - is illustrative. It requires the mortgagor and mortgagee to provide their signature and date, but there is no where for the signer to print their name and title. This…

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  multifamily housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Independent review of hiring Selections or transfers

Without going into huge detail on a internal forum. I think there needs to be independent look at the hiring/transferring of employees.

As, I sit here and write this I remember more and more why I'm interviewing at other agencies.

When an employee can easily look at linkedin, facebook and others site and draw a direct connection to the selection or transfer of an employee to a position there is something wrong. It brings distrust in the selection process and the agency heads that hire or transfer these individuals in.

In my department alone, within the last year the Senior…

5 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Not an idea but a question; when is bring your son or daughter to work day?

Not an idea but a question; when is bring your son or daughter to work day?

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • 13 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow users to contact the IT Helpdesk by email for non-immediate issues

There are times when a computer issue has to be solved "right now," but there are other issues that could be handled better by email communication. It would address several issues: 1) issues triage - should help the helpdesk with workload management; 2) visual assistance - instead of having to describe the error message (that may have disappeared five minutes ago), a screenshot could be sent; 3) communications accuracy - there would be no mis-translation of the problem, as sometimes happens with verbal explanations.

23 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Alternative Suspension Centers

Fund and support Alternatives to school suspension, to encourage children/teens who are suspended from school, to have a place to receive their homework, tutoring, mentoring, counseling, intervention -away from the traditional school setting. There are factors that we have learned in a similar project, that inhibit these students from being able to address issues affecting their safe school experience. We have to find other ways to help children to know someone listens -and cares. The key is a partnership with community faith-based agencies , parents, Educational authorities and police. There has to be triangulated communication between parents/school/counselor/child to address and…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Provide an opportunity for local personnel to attend HUD locally sponsored training

Consider providing local personnel the opportunity to attend “no cost” training hosted and/or sponsored by program areas outside of the employee’s functional area. Oftentimes when local training sessions are held, the employee at the local site has no idea that the training is taking place. Since almost all of what we do is interrelated with other program areas to some degree, it would serve HUD well to announce the sessions and provide employees with the opportunity to attend those sessions. This would provide the employee with better knowledge and understanding of other program areas and may be useful during communication…

11 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • The HUD Emergency Alert system

The HUD Emergency Alert system is a good idea, however, I think a couple of improvements would make it even better.

First, when the automated system calls a person I think it would be more useful if it gave the basic message and then as many automated systems will do it will have you press a number (say, 2) for further information. Otherwise, to confirm you received the message press 1 and to hear it again press 0. This last time it took it two minutes to go through the entire message to let me know that for a three…

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Rapid Rehousing and Housing First

Rapid Rehousing and Housing First are principles and priorities which have many positive attributes.  With reasonably funded programs based on these principles, it is possible for many individuals and families to more quickly from the experience of homelessness, to housing stability. 

When these principles are imposed as the only approach for which any reasonable level of funding is available, the result is the creation of dependencies and people with no desire to gain self-sufficiency. 

It is important that the implementation of programs to serve our homeless neighbors always include the elements of goal setting, accountability and self-improvement.  The number of…

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  policy development & research  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base