home         how it works         my ideas         help         hud.gov

Ideas? Feedback? Let us know right here.

Hey there. Welcome to Switchboard, where you have the opportunity to help us help HUD help you. First time on the site? Here’s how it works. Questions, comments? Write us at switchboard@hud.gov and we’ll get back to you right away.

Have an awesome idea?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow supervisors to telework 3 times per week.

Now that HUD allows employees to telework up to three times per week and continues to improve the technology that supports teleworking, it may follow that supervisors should be granted the same 3 days per week teleworking benefit. Currently, supervisors may telework one day per week. Many excellent top performing employees who take advantage of the three day teleworking schedule may never consider supervisory positions because of having to relinquish their ability to work from home three days per week. Employees telework; yet, supervisors are required to go into the office 4 days per week. What for? Nobody is there;…

131 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  single-family housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Push for changing the building standards and codes to allow smaller, more sustainable, more AFFORDABLE homes

Advocate and put pressure on the necessary entities to change building standards to allow smaller, more sustainable, more Affordable homes to be built.

Why tie up a family's income for decades paying for a house that is larger than what they need? Look at the size of post WW I & II houses. Large, happy families were raised in these smaller homes.

Today's large houses put money in the BUILDER's pockets while sucking it out of the pockets of middle-class Americans. Larger mortgages mean more money to banks and less to be spent strengthening the economy, they add stress to…

119 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        9 comments  ·  single-family housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        in the works  ·  jay responded

Lots of exciting stuff happening behind the scenes. More soon!

• Stop sending Appraisal Sanction Letters via Certified Mail

Single Family Housing Appraisal Technical Support reviews work product of FHA Roster Appraisers. Current procedures require all letters of (Removal) Sanction, Education (EDU), or Notice of Deficiency (NOD) sent out as Certified Mail, return receipt. This proposal is to obtain a Legal Opinion if an email to the email address listed on the FHA Roster will suffice as constructive notice. In the alternative, NOD &/or EDU letters, but not Removal Sanction, to be sent via email rather than certified mail. Use of email rather than certified mail will result in substantial savings in mailing costs, as well as countless hours…

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  single-family housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Paperless Appraisal Reviews

Paperless Appraisal Reviews for the Appraisal Technical Support Department. Currently we receive mostly paper loan binders that contain the appraisals reviewed by HUD, with very few Electronic E binders. Current procedure, in both cases, is for the staff appraiser to make a paper copy of the appraisal, paper copies of research and other supporting documents, and submit this paper file for review and storage. I propose a process change to do this paperless instead; and I have been completing reviews in a paperless manner since August 2014; however, since our procedures require the paper file, I then print out the…

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            2 comments  ·  single-family housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            in the works  ·  jay responded

Great idea! From our friends in the Office of Housing:

“This is a great idea – and it’s something we are trying to implement.

We recognize the importance of having appraisals and supporting documents easily accessible in one central, secure place. Currently, HUD is working to implement its Electronic Appraisal Delivery (EAD) portal, which will facilitate electronic transmission of appraisal data and reports to FHA from FHA lenders. You may have noticed that in March 2015, FHA issued Mortgagee Letter 2015-08, which advises that beginning June 27, 2016, all FHA lenders will be required to deliver appraisals through the EAD portal.

With the EAD portal in place, HUD staff are no longer required to keep paper copies of appraisal reports that are submitted electronically (as mentioned, something all lenders will be required to do beginning June 2016). However, staff will be required to maintain paper copies of supporting…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base