home         how it works         my ideas         help         hud.gov

Ideas? Feedback? Let us know right here.

Hey there. Welcome to Switchboard, where you have the opportunity to help us help HUD help you. First time on the site? Here’s how it works. Questions, comments? Write us at switchboard@hud.gov and we’ll get back to you right away.

Have an awesome idea?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. WiFi Access for HUD Staff

As we go about our days we are challenged to perform at a certain level and always be cognizant about the use of technology in our work environment. It would be so convenient if we had access to WiFi which would allow us to move about in our job space with our laptop computers. Group interaction would be easy as well as using our technology in a shared space without depending upon other equipment in the office that may or may not be available. If you took a poll, I am sure all of my HUD peers would be in…

338 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      7 comments  ·  public & indian housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      Under review.  ·  jayjay responded

Thanks for your idea! As this involves both IT and working conditions, we’ll have to talk this one out with our unions and tech folks. Stay tuned!

• Resource for HUD Interagency (PHA/Management Agent) Complaint Resolution

I am proposing a shared communication resource that would also serve as a tracking mechanism for PIH and Multi-family (and others too) to be able to access the same tool through SharePoint/Access to track the status of customer complaints. Since HUD and our external customers/partners often spend a great deal of time working together to resolve customer complaints, everyone involved needs to know its status. I propose a system that would send a dated notification to our external customer/partner about an issue; include details of the issue; and assign responsibility. Then the partner would receive an alert, respond back via…

94 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  public & indian housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Policy Letter Needed for Afghan and Iraqi SIVs

No One Left Behind, a 501(c)(3) organization that helps to resettle Afghan and Iraqis who worked for the U.S. miltary is having problems securing HUD-approved apartments for SIVs. These are Afghan and Iraqi translators and support personnel who worked for the U.S. military, with years of faithful and honorable service, and were granted special immigrant visas after being targeted by the Taliban or ISIL. We are told by our local HUD-approved Section 8 housing, (Managed by Winn Residential) that our SIVs must go through a 2-4 week process of background checks and credit checks. Meanwhile, we have no place to…

58 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          9 comments  ·  public & indian housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          Under review.  ·  jayjay responded

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ll look into it, and hope to have more for you soon!

• CODE of Conduct for HUD grant programs design and requirements modification

In looking at the HUD website under CODE of Conduct for HUD grant programs I found that the listings are all combined with Tribal and Non Tribal entities. The list is not alphabetized & there are no real links from the entities to their individual Codes of Conducts. In addition there are several Typos. I propose that Tribal and Non Tribal be separated. A new simple electronic form for our customers could be provided that they can submit either electronically or via paper form with standard guidelines be created especially since there are such a variety of styles that each…

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  public & indian housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Create a "One Stop" Registration page for access to HUD systems

A one stop registration page with CLEAR instructions for PHA users to register or change access for HUD systems (PIC, EIV, VMS, LOCCS etc.) instead of going to the PIC help desk, and REAC and the LOCCS help. Information on what roles an Executive Director should have in the systems, what exact boxes they need to fill out, and to who the information needs to be sent. It is a confusing process for new ED's who may need immediate access into HUD systems that can be streamlined somehow.

40 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              3 comments  ·  public & indian housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Vegetable gardens on public housing land- partner with USDA

Partner with the USDA, and others, to encourage community-vegetable gardens on public housing authority land. Such programs address food insecurity, empower individuals, provide a potential source of income, potentially reduce landscaping costs, and improve resident diets by learning about and growing their own nutrient-dense produce in a communal atmosphere. Assisting PHAs in setting aside green space at existing sites for community gardens could have significant positive impacts for residents and their communities. Examples and information that may assist:
              http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?contentidonly=true&contentid=grant_program_recipients.html
              http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycha/html/community/garden.shtml
              http://www.billingsha.org/CommunityGardens/tabid/4898/Default.aspx;
              https://www.assistedhousinginsider.com/article/take-10-steps-create-successful-community-garden-residents;
              http://www.healthykidshealthycommunities.org/hkhc-caseexamples-communitygardens
              http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/low-income-housing-tenants-dig-in-to-community-gardening-1.2739782
              http://www.huduser.org/portal/pdredge/pdr_edge_featd_article_050313.html

114 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  public & indian housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                in the works  ·  jayjay responded

Great news! After hearing about this idea from Switchboard, this project was approved by the General Deputy Assistant Secretary of our Office of Public & Indian Housing. Here’s what’s gone down to date:

While community gardens have long existed on public housing properties, HUD put together a plan to reach out further and provide additional information to our partners. Dina Lehman-Kimm is the project manager of this effort, and the team held a webinar on community gardens at the end of February with over 90 participants.

Of those participating, 45% already operated community gardens. The other 55% did not and were hoping to learn how to get one started.
                100% of those on the webinar were interested in starting and/or strengthening their gardens.
                Almost all indicated that the webinar would motivate them to either “very likely” start a garden (74%) or “somewhat likely” start a garden (24%).

Most believed that…

• Establish a Resident Services/Resident Engagement Office that spans Program Areas (either within PIH or for the Department)

Goal 3 "Housing as a Platform" in HUD’s strategic plan, is part of a new direction at HUD, where services to residents of HUD-assisted properties are elevated and more fully integrated into the mission of the department.

HUD has been moving in the direction of integrating rental assistance across PH, HCV and PBRA (think RAD) but how supportive services works in this transition has been an afterthought. Simultaneously, the FSS program has merged across PH and HCV and has proposed to include PBRA... however, our current organizational structure makes supporting this model challenging.

Similar challenges arise with our federal inter-agency…

120 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Change HUD forms to reflect Census race and ethnicity

The HUD Forms 27061, 50058, and 50059 ask for race and ethnicity data based on the following OMB races: White, Black/African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Asian, Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander, and Other. Ethnicity is either Hispanic or Latino or not. The 2010 Census asked for the following information on Hispanics: Is this person of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin with answers of No; Yes, Mexican, Mexican American, or Chicano origin; Yes, Puerto Rican; Yes, Cuban; and Yes, another Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin and print origin, for example, Argentinian, Columbian, Dominican, Nicaraguan, Salvadoran, Spaniard, etc. (http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf). They also…

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  public & indian housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Each program area has a forms liaison officer, also known as a Paperwork Reduction Act (PRA) Liaison. In some program areas, these are two different positions, in others, they may be the same person. Each program area is responsible for creating/managing their forms. For public-use forms, program areas are required to go through the PRA clearance process and approval prior to publication on HUD.gov or the HUDCLIPS website. Internal-use forms that do not collect personal identifiable information (PII), do not have to go through the PRA clearance process and can be published on HUDs intranet or HUD@work pages. Internal use forms that are posted/published on the HUDCLIPS website, should go through Departmental Clearance prior to publication.

There are other mandates and regulations administered by OMB that regulate race and ethnicity data (information and collection). Race and ethnicity regulations can be found in the following links:

• HUD Initative to build relations between residents and law enforcement

HUD should set the standard and help re-establish relationships amongst communities and law enforcement. By identifying high crime areas within HUD housing or government communities by implementing programs to help educate today's youth on how to respond to police officers and bring the communities together. By establishing these relations eventually the goal would be to get law enforcement from not only speaking to communities but also to schools as well. Building trust amongst communities and law enforcement is critical and HUD could lead the way.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base