home         how it works         my ideas         help         hud.gov

Ideas? Feedback? Let us know right here.

Hey there. Welcome to Switchboard, where you have the opportunity to help us help HUD help you. First time on the site? Here’s how it works. Questions, comments? Write us at switchboard@hud.gov and we’ll get back to you right away.

Have an awesome idea?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow users to contact the IT Helpdesk by email for non-immediate issues

There are times when a computer issue has to be solved "right now," but there are other issues that could be handled better by email communication. It would address several issues: 1) issues triage - should help the helpdesk with workload management; 2) visual assistance - instead of having to describe the error message (that may have disappeared five minutes ago), a screenshot could be sent; 3) communications accuracy - there would be no mis-translation of the problem, as sometimes happens with verbal explanations.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow for a longer period of time before archiving emails

Please allow for a longer period of time before archiving emails. 60 days is way too short for the type of work that our program areas do. I am an underwriter and my projects are rarely ever completed in 60 days. This wastes a TON of time trying to open every email individually. Perhaps allow a longer period of time for employees who have supervisory approval to archive later? I understand that archiving is important, but staff time should also be considered in making these decisions. We are always saying we need more staff, but if we provided our staff…

380 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        11 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • PDF in searchable format

Various offices, directors, and supervisors publish documents for staff review and assistance by scanning a document into PDF and not using an OCR technology. OCR appears to be disabled on our Adobe Reader, and Nuance is hit or miss in converting these documents on a case by case basis...

Rather than physically print and scan a document to send to staff or to file on a serve (especially if the document does not contain signatures), could the individuals that are creating the documents simply convert them to PDF from their word processing program?

This would ensure that the documents are: …

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Approve and Promote a Password Manager as Standard Software for All HUD Staff

While single sign-on may be coming in 2016, for the moment HUD staff still have an inordinate number of login information to track. And even after substantial consolidation, as long as "shared-services" like Concur and National Finance Center are part of HUD's Admin, there will still be multiple passwords to remember. That's in addition to the dozens of passwords for personal emails and other online accounts that employees need to maintain securely to protect their PII. HUD should approve and promote a password manager like LastPass or Keypass for all staff, which is free and vastly more secure than the…

258 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            9 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Develop an e-signature policy for the Department.

Management and staff could greatly streamline business processes at HUD, if they knew what the requirements are to comply with the E-Sign Act (Electronic Signatures in Global and
            National Commerce Act). When it comes to financial management business process, HUD creates thousands of manually signed documents every year that we must maintain. HUD staff create volumes of paper because we are required to have signed paperwork since we do not know what constitutes a valid electronic signature in our information technology systems. Some systems already have it, but these tend to be the commercial off the shelf (COTS) systems. If…

112 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Currently, a team led by Laura Hogshead, Chief Operations Officer, with representatives from OSPM, OCIO, OCFO, and other offices, is looking into developing a policy and practices to encourage, and improve the ease of, using digital signatures and e-signatures on internal HUD documents and documents to our stakeholders (including grantees, contractors, etc.). The team hopes to be able to provide more information in the coming months.

• Active Desktop Software License Management

We need the capability to manage desktop software that is not part of the standard desktop configuration. In many cases software is installed on computers that is not being utilized while others who need the applications cannot get a copy to do their work. In addition, software is most likely purchased while there are licenses tied up that are not being used. If an application has not been used for six months then it should be uninstalled so it could be used by others.

29 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base