home         how it works         my ideas         help         hud.gov

Ideas? Feedback? Let us know right here.

Hey there. Welcome to Switchboard, where you have the opportunity to help us help HUD help you. First time on the site? Here’s how it works. Questions, comments? Write us at switchboard@hud.gov and we’ll get back to you right away.

Have an awesome idea?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Individual Recycling Bins should be issued to HUD Staff in order to increase the frequency of staff recycling. Currently, offices only have

Individual Recycling Bins should be issued to HUD Staff in order to increase the frequency of staff recycling. Currently, offices only have one centrally located bin for paper-only recycling. This dis-incentivizes recycling of paper, plastic, aluminum, and glass. Through providing individual single stream recycling containers, HUD will incentivize and maximize the frequency of recycling.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  sustainability & economic resilience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow users to contact the IT Helpdesk by email for non-immediate issues

There are times when a computer issue has to be solved "right now," but there are other issues that could be handled better by email communication. It would address several issues: 1) issues triage - should help the helpdesk with workload management; 2) visual assistance - instead of having to describe the error message (that may have disappeared five minutes ago), a screenshot could be sent; 3) communications accuracy - there would be no mis-translation of the problem, as sometimes happens with verbal explanations.

19 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Provide an opportunity for local personnel to attend HUD locally sponsored training

Consider providing local personnel the opportunity to attend “no cost” training hosted and/or sponsored by program areas outside of the employee’s functional area. Oftentimes when local training sessions are held, the employee at the local site has no idea that the training is taking place. Since almost all of what we do is interrelated with other program areas to some degree, it would serve HUD well to announce the sessions and provide employees with the opportunity to attend those sessions. This would provide the employee with better knowledge and understanding of other program areas and may be useful during communication…

7 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add Name/Title to HUD Forms Requiring Signatures

We have HUD forms that require people and entities to provide their signature (often attached to an important certification). However, many HUD documents don't have a space for the person or entity to print their name or their title. So often we just get an unreadable squiggle as a signature, and it's very difficult to know who actually signed these important documents.

HUD-92432 (5/79) - Commitment for Insurance of Advances - is illustrative. It requires the mortgagor and mortgagee to provide their signature and date, but there is no where for the signer to print their name and title. This…

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  multifamily housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • My company is Dharma Graphics. I develop CAD (digital) blueprints for OC, zoning and permits residential and commercial.

I am a CBE who received an awarded contract for the base year 2016.thru. 2019, Contract No. CW48224 for Mobis services, GSA Federal Supply Schedule. I am in the process of soliciting my particular set of skills.
            I am also Section 3 bus. (S3BC).

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  healthy homes  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • 4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • WiFi Access for HUD Staff

As we go about our days we are challenged to perform at a certain level and always be cognizant about the use of technology in our work environment. It would be so convenient if we had access to WiFi which would allow us to move about in our job space with our laptop computers. Group interaction would be easy as well as using our technology in a shared space without depending upon other equipment in the office that may or may not be available. If you took a poll, I am sure all of my HUD peers would be in…

318 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  7 comments  ·  public & indian housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your idea! As this involves both IT and working conditions, we’ll have to talk this one out with our unions and tech folks. Stay tuned!

• Cardio Equipment in the Empty Cafeteria Space by the Windows

The empty cafeteria space is sitting idle and not being used! Put cardio equipment by the windows and allow staff to use the machines for free. The machines can be set up by the windows and have a great view of L'Enfant plaza's open space. This will lead to an energized work force and higher productivity rates. Clayton Homes in Knoxville, TN has a free state-of-the-art gym for their employees - why can't we do something similar? Instead of always finding a way to say "no," come up with a solution to get to "yes."

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    3 comments  ·  facilities  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Independent review of hiring Selections or transfers

Without going into huge detail on a internal forum. I think there needs to be independent look at the hiring/transferring of employees.

As, I sit here and write this I remember more and more why I'm interviewing at other agencies.

When an employee can easily look at linkedin, facebook and others site and draw a direct connection to the selection or transfer of an employee to a position there is something wrong. It brings distrust in the selection process and the agency heads that hire or transfer these individuals in.

In my department alone, within the last year the Senior…

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  chief human capital officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Breaking destructive cycles

First let me say that I can’t honestly relate to the plight of the inner-city people so I might be way off base. I just think what I would be like today if I had grown up there, probably no different than those that are forced to.
                      I’ve had an idea that’s been floating around in my head for about 10 years that I’d like to share. The plan has 2 segments; Education and housing.

Education
                      It looks as if the inner city schools are declining and falling further behind every year. Part of this is the decaying infrastructure and…

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  community planning & development  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow for a longer period of time before archiving emails

Please allow for a longer period of time before archiving emails. 60 days is way too short for the type of work that our program areas do. I am an underwriter and my projects are rarely ever completed in 60 days. This wastes a TON of time trying to open every email individually. Perhaps allow a longer period of time for employees who have supervisory approval to archive later? I understand that archiving is important, but staff time should also be considered in making these decisions. We are always saying we need more staff, but if we provided our staff…

338 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          8 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Not an idea but a question; when is bring your son or daughter to work day?

Not an idea but a question; when is bring your son or daughter to work day?

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • The HUD Emergency Alert system

The HUD Emergency Alert system is a good idea, however, I think a couple of improvements would make it even better.

First, when the automated system calls a person I think it would be more useful if it gave the basic message and then as many automated systems will do it will have you press a number (say, 2) for further information. Otherwise, to confirm you received the message press 1 and to hear it again press 0. This last time it took it two minutes to go through the entire message to let me know that for a three…

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Work with OPM to provide benefit advocacy service as part of our benefit package

As HUD's staff get older, the reliance on medical benefits will increase. The federal government offers a variety of plans with a variety of coverage options. Providing a benefit advocacy service as part of our basic benefit package will assist employees in selecting the healthcare plan that closest meets their needs. Additionally, the benefit advocates will provide assistance in issue that arise with insurance coverage. Time and Time again insurance companies deny claims that should be covered under our insurance plan. Fighting with the insurance company is tiresome and takes a toll mentally and physically on your employees. A benefit…

9 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  healthcare  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Alternative Suspension Centers

Fund and support Alternatives to school suspension, to encourage children/teens who are suspended from school, to have a place to receive their homework, tutoring, mentoring, counseling, intervention -away from the traditional school setting. There are factors that we have learned in a similar project, that inhibit these students from being able to address issues affecting their safe school experience. We have to find other ways to help children to know someone listens -and cares. The key is a partnership with community faith-based agencies , parents, Educational authorities and police. There has to be triangulated communication between parents/school/counselor/child to address and…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Coordinated Entry for Homeless Programs - Illusion rather than solution.

Coordinated Entry is a good concept, much like rapid rehousing. Without in the absence of a supply of housing that is actually affordable, it just becomes a waiting list, containing only a tiny representation of the people in need of housing.

When a good idea is implemented in a manner that it becomes the solely funded and required means of serving our homeless neighbors, the “good” declines rapidly.  The combined factors of ineffective screening and a lack of responsiveness (either by choice or limited opportunity) by those on the coordinated entry list, results in significant delays in housing - along with…

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  policy development & research  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Homeless Management Information System (HMIS)

HMIS could be a vital component for ensuring that our neighbors receive the support that they need in overcoming barriers to gaining self-sufficiency and permanent housing.  In the most simple terms, HMIS collects information concerning the provision of government funded services to neighbors who are experiencing homelessness.  As with all such data collection systems, HMIS continues to grow in terms of the complexity and intrusiveness of required data.  Although neighbors receiving services can opt out of providing data, agencies are penalized if too many people exercise their rights.  Privacy issues aside, HMIS represents a massive sinkhole of resources that could…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  policy development & research  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Rapid Rehousing and Housing First

Rapid Rehousing and Housing First are principles and priorities which have many positive attributes.  With reasonably funded programs based on these principles, it is possible for many individuals and families to more quickly from the experience of homelessness, to housing stability. 

When these principles are imposed as the only approach for which any reasonable level of funding is available, the result is the creation of dependencies and people with no desire to gain self-sufficiency. 

It is important that the implementation of programs to serve our homeless neighbors always include the elements of goal setting, accountability and self-improvement.  The number of…

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • PDF in searchable format

Various offices, directors, and supervisors publish documents for staff review and assistance by scanning a document into PDF and not using an OCR technology. OCR appears to be disabled on our Adobe Reader, and Nuance is hit or miss in converting these documents on a case by case basis...

Rather than physically print and scan a document to send to staff or to file on a serve (especially if the document does not contain signatures), could the individuals that are creating the documents simply convert them to PDF from their word processing program?

This would ensure that the documents are: …

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  chief information officer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • HEMS

HEMs represents a system with great potential for workflow management in addition to content management. I had a couple of questions about the feasibility of new processes and features:

1. Can a draft determination be added as part of our HEMS file? It could be a separate feature or simply uploaded in .docx or .pdf format. It would enable other users to review similar cases as a basis for precedent.

2. Can FHEO implement a digital signature system that uses PIV IDs from our ID Cards or our emails? This would enable forms and documents to stay inside HEMs and…

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  fair housing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base